WEST SLABS, MT. OLYMPUS, UTAH

June 03, 2016

West Slabs Mt. Olympus, Utah
The west slabs are located on the northwest face of Mt. Olympus in the Wasatch front in Salt Lake County. The approach to the West Slabs is a nice hike up the Bonneville Shoreline trail to a boulder ridden dry wash that takes you to a snow packed couloir which is where the fun begins.

West Slabs Mt. Olympus, Utah
The Snow is on a 45 degree angle so I highly recommend crampons or something that will allow you to grip onto the snow.  It is also good to bring a Ice Axe you can glissade down the couloir ( which is what I did, but with a branch, instead ). I was running on the Bonneville shoreline trail and followed trails up which took me to ( what I realized now to be the west slabs). 

West Slabs Mt. Olympus, Utah
I did not realize that I was climbing on the west slabs until after I got back and did a little research on the area. When I got to the Couloir  I elected to climb the left wall as I ascended up the Couloir which was extra climbing but good overall exercise going up this mountain. I made up to the first of 11 Pitches and, to my surprise, there were a lot of jugs and large cracks to grip.

West Slabs Mt. Olympus, Utah
 The 50-55 degree slope also helped with balance, so I found that these pitches were quite easy to climb without using ropes or aid protection.  I continued to climb up a variation of cracks and found as I got higher I was passing up belay stations, which must have been the pitches described when I looked up the West Slabs.

West Slabs Mt. Olympus, Utah
The total ascent on the slabs was around 1000ft but it really did not feel like it was that far. I felt like it was a lot easier that I would have thought the west slabs would have been and, honestly I was a bit bored with the climbing aspect of it all. 

West Slabs Mt. Olympus, Utah
It was not really that challenging but something where I could see myself practicing for something bigger. Overall its a easy approach to a slabby 1000ft wall so I am sure a lot of people will find this interesting and fun to do.

West Slabs Mt. Olympus, Utah

I would rate the climbs as being 5.4 or less due to the 50-55 degree slope and the numerous options to crack, jug, or otherwise find handholds to get you to the top.


West Slabs Mt. Olympus, Utah

You Might Also Like

0 comments

TRANSLATE

European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used and data collected on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.