HOT CREEK HOT SPRING, NEVADA

May 01, 2017


Adam Haydock in hot creek hot spring, Nevada. PHOTO BY: Dan Straley
We headed back from a ridge walk in the White pine range and headed down past Lund and back onto another basin which had numerous springs seeping and surging out of the ground. One spring in particular is called Hot Creek Hot spring and was our next stop.

Adam haydock in hot creek hot spring, Nevada. PHOTO BY: Dan Straley

We camped near the head of the spring which was a bit hard to see at night and was also a bit difficult to identify through all of the dead grass.  When morning broke I found that we were on the other side of the spring and the but there were plenty of access points.

Adam Haydock descending into the resurgence in hot creek hot spring, Nevada. PHOTO BY: Dan Straley
I got into the 85 degree water and realized that this must be another connection to the massive aquifer under Nevada that connects to the Devils Hole system.   The spring was rather large for Nevada standards and the depth was around 20ft. I swam down and I could see a crack in between limestone bedding that had breakdown towards the back and tumbling sand from the water pressure.

Adam Haydock in hot creek hot spring, Nevada. PHOTO BY: Dan Straley
I was able to work my way about 10 ft into this crack until I could see more breakdown and a spot that would require either digging or removing some rocks to get deeper into the fissure.  I think that I am going to find more breakdown the further I get but as far as Nevada goes, I believe this is one of the better leads to look into a bit more.  I do not think it will be feasible to get deeper into the passage.

Adam ascending up in hot creek hot spring, Nevada. PHOTO BY: Dan Straley
It was a beautiful day to visit this spring and I am glad we had the chance to check this place out.  Afterwards we headed into the remote basins to check out Uhalde Pit.

swimming in in hot creek hot spring, Nevada. PHOTO BY: Dan Straley

You Might Also Like

0 comments

TRANSLATE

European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used and data collected on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.