FERRIS PIT & BO ALLEN PIT

July 21, 2014


Ferris Pit

When we made the decision to cancel Keystone river Cave, we were able to establish a trip out to Ferris Pit and Bow Allen pit with a couple of stops at different pits in the area.  We headed north and eventually made it to the landowners property.  He was a nice guy that allowed us to just walk back to the pit. 
Ferris Pit
 The entrance looked like a typical Indiana pit nestled in the back of a farm field with a fence surrounding it. I decided to rig to a distant tree so we didn’t have to concern ourselves with the widow maker boulders hanging over the entrance of the pit.  After rigging and preparing to drop, I made the descent into Ferris Pit’s 250ft darkness and reach the bottom a couple minutes later. This was just a pit with a dome room next to the pit and a register.  Chris comes down shortly after and we snap a couple pictures of the register room. 
Ferris Pit
Shortly after Chris makes his Ascent up to the surface and I make my way up.  I found it interesting that my adrenaline was pumping a bit more this time which went away after each pit we dropped on the trip going forward.  I was thinking to myself that I am going have to do four of these and than some more if I am going to drop the cave of swallows next year.  NICE!!!...need to prep for that with another TAG trip!! . 
Bo Allen Pit
After leaving Ferris Pit we went to find doomsday pit which turned out to be something that was not existant.   We also looked for Lanie pit and we were not able to find that one either.  Chris was referred to check out Bow Allen Pit which is a 155ft pit south of where we were but on the way back to the state park. We rig this interesting entrance and drop through the small troll house looking entrance into a belled out pit with a dome room and interesting flowstone features as you descend down the pit. 
Bo Allen Pit
 This pit used to be called Skull Well as there are multiple skulls of cow and horse at the bottom.  After snapping a few photos Chris starts his ascent up to the surface.  As I am taking pictures I hear a whistling sound that gets louder and louder.  I thought it was a bat of some sorts but as I start to look up Chris’s QAS slams into the ground with his carabiner!....shit that was about 10ft way.  Always be out of the fall zone no matter who is climbing because they may or may not notice they lose something until they hear it hit the ground.  
Bo Allen Pit
I start my ascent and make it out with no issues and discuss what happened as I de rig everything.   We get back to the car and continue to Rocky River Cave for a final fun trip into a short but beautiful cave
Ferris Pit
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

TRANSLATE

European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used and data collected on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.