CASTLETON TOWER NORTH CHIMNEY 5.8

February 23, 2016

Castleton Tower, Moab, Utah.
After Rock of Ages Canyon, I grabbed some lunch and headed over to Castleton Tower to check out this feature and talk a bit with the climbing community to see how the routes were out here and how they enjoyed the Moab area. I was able to join a group of climbers from Colorado on this summit attempt of the North Chimney which rated at a 5.8
Castleton Tower, Moab, Utah.
We hike up to the base of this 400-foot Wingate Sandstone tower which is standing on a 1,000 foot Moenkopi-Chinle cone above the northeastern border of Castle Valley east of Moab.
Castleton Tower, Moab, Utah.
The crux of this climb were the last two pitches as they required longer reaching holds and some calcite to negotiate around which I found to be slippery. The first two pitches were pretty straightforward and we all took turns leading up to the towers summit.
Castleton Tower, Moab, Utah.
It was pretty cold at the top as I found this out the hard way a couple hours before the sun was setting beyond the ridge. The other members of the group have go pro video so I am waiting to get the stills from that device. I took some photos and left my camera in a bag halfway up so I could concentrate on climbing.
Castleton Tower, Moab, Utah.
I am not into climbing as much as I am into canyoneering, caving, and mountaineering but this climb was interesting as the views were really dramatic and beautiful and the climb itself was not too difficult which allowed me to be back in Moab for a late dinner.
Castleton Tower, Moab, Utah.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

TRANSLATE

European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used and data collected on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.